P r o a c t i v e


Awesome Image

skilled trade occupations

The FST is a prescribed class for applicants who may become Permanent Residents on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada as workers in skilled trade occupations

An occupation (not designated as restricted), in the following categories listed in skill level B of NOC matrix.


  1. Major group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  2. Major group 72, maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  3. Major group 82, supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
  4. Major group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
  5. Minor group 632, chefs and cooks; and
  6. Minor group 633, butchers and bakers.


The major National Occupational Classification  groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.


Eligibility Requirements for FST:


  • Language proficiency requirement: the minimum requirements for language is CLB 5 for speaking and listening and CLB 4 for Reading and Writing


  • Work experience: candidate must have an experience of 2 years before an Application is submitted, applicant must have acquired at least 2 years full time work experience in the last 5 years-full time or an equivalent in part-time work, in their skilled trade occupation, and must have performed both the action and main duties described in NOCs.


  • Relevant employment requirements: the foreign national must be meet the relevant employment requirements of the skilled trade occupation specified in the application as set out in the NOC, except for the requirement to obtain a certificate of qualification issued by a competent provincial authority.


  • Education: while there is no education requirement for this class, an applicant can score more points under EE. But, if you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways you can do this.
    • If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
  • secondary (high school) or
  • post-secondary school
  • If you have foreign education, you can get points for:
    • a completed foreign credential, and


  • an Educational Credential Assessment report from an approved agency showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian
    • secondary (high school) or
    • post-secondary school



Have a valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.